First time reflections of Limmud-Oz

Kaylene Emery is a dedicated Limmud-Oz volunteer. She reflects on her first time at Limmud, whilst in Italy.

Prior to my first, and so far only Limmud-Oz experience I did not even know what Limmud was. I found my experience to be so amazing! I attended as a volunteer, which was good as I did not know a lot of people there, and could have easily felt lost amongst the hustle and bustle of so much to see and hear. Limmud is not unlike a Jewish feast, there's an amazing array of things to do, but what to choose when time is so limited?

Photo from Italy, where Kaylene was reflecting.
As a volunteer it meant that I had a role. It took me a few hours to acclimatise and for the momentum to build, but I soon found my feet. Limmud-Oz was in full swing of a cultural, educational and festive world, unlike anything I had ever experienced before. I noticed that all age groups and Jewish factions attended and presented at Limmud-Oz. Sure enough I soon forgot that I had never been before and I was caught up in the rush from session to session to listen to one of the speakers of my choice. I stopped only to eat, and also to put in two hours of work, which did not even feel like work.

Italian sign depicting the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz
I experienced the full gamut of emotions as I listened to speakers. We were given the opportunity to say 'yes but', or 'what about this or that?' It was such a delightful Jewish experience, but like all good things it came to an end, and people were quite comfortable in showing their sadness that such a beautiful weekend was drawing to a close.

Limmud-Oz is becoming bigger every year. It really is a Jewish community event, for all to get involved with. There is such a diverse range of topics to hear about from Middle East politics, the media, education and many others. It is so rare for people to get the opportunity to listen to these speakers, who have such a wealth of knowledge and there really is something for everyone, no matter what your interests.


***

Limmud-Oz - The Festival of Jewish Ideas

Festival dates: 6 - 8 June 2015 - Book NOW!

For more news and updates Like our Facebook page and Follow-us on Twitter using #LimmudFever.

Limmud is a not-for-profit, all-volunteer based event supported by the Shalom Institute. Our valuable volunteers get a generous 50% discount from any festival ticket - join our volunteering team today!
       

Comments

Post a Comment